A major step in becoming a profitable affiliate marketer is to choose the right products to promote. You want to be sure that you choose something your audience needs, that has a good reputation behind it, and is made by someone you trust. After all, if people buy it due to your recommendation, it needs to be good so that you can maintain the trust of your audience.
- Understand Your Audience – The more you know about your audience, the more you can be sure that you are finding products that they need and want. If you don’t know who you’re marketing to, it will be very difficult to choose the right products.
- Solve Problems for Your Audience – You want to find products that solve problems for your audience. If you’re not solving a problem, you may be creating one. Find two or three pain points your audience has. Then search for products to see if you can find solutions for your audience for these pain points.
- Try the Product – It’s best to not promote products you have not tried yourself. Consider the expense to be part of the cost of doing business, but also as an insurance policy against complaints. If you truly love a product, you’ll feel better about promoting it.
- Check Conversion Rates – Any product that is worth selling should give affiliates some idea of how high their sales pages conversion rate is. This can help you know whether or not it’s worth it for you to spend time and perhaps money promoting the product.
- Know How Much Your Commission Is – Always understand up front how much your commission is. Remember to subtract any fees you’re charged via the payment processing center that you use. Read the information on ClickBank so you know what it takes to actually collect there (or any other affiliate network for that matter).
- Know the Payout Procedures – Every affiliate program out there has a different payout procedure. Some pay out monthly, some make you wait until you have a certain number of sales, and others have even more confusing rules. Read all the rules, and understand when and how you’ll be paid.
- Stay Digital – The best affiliate products are digital over physical. The reason is that people will buy them faster and get their products sooner. Plus, you’re likely to earn more money per item when promoting digital items.
- Follow Trends – Don’t be afraid to jump on a trend bandwagon if it fits. But, don’t force it. If you can find a way that the trend fits in with your audience, you can capitalize on it in a big way. If you can’t, just let it go.